Search This Blog

Monday, February 8, 2010

The Party's at Sun Peaks

(Aired on February 5, 2010)

I'm surprised it's taken this long for controversy over partiers at Sun Peaks to come to light. Some residents who live at the Peaks are upset with the constant partying of some of their neighbours. Well, not their neighbours per se. For the most part, they are people who are renting their neighbour's homes. Hotel operators and residents alike are upset at some who rent their properties out to partiers on a nightly basis, almost like a hotel. They are noisy, and mostly pains in the butt.

Unfortunately, they are prevalent in places like Sun Peaks, just like they are at the Shuswap in the summer time. I don't know how you can avoid it. I sympathize with the residents who want to enjoy a beautiful life at the mountain, or on the lake. But I don't know what control they might have over the idiots who create the problems.

I'm not familiar with the developmental rules at the hill. I know things like time shares are commonplace in some resorts, and I'm not sure whether or not all subdivisions in a place like Sun Peaks operate under the same guidelines. But if there are rules in place, they should be followed, and should be enforced. If people are renting out their places illegally, they should be fined. Unfortunately, there are many ways around the rules, and people bent on bending them won't have any trouble doing so.

The issue is not as easily resolved as some might think. Resorts, and recreational properties in general, definitely have a different set of guidelines than subdivisions within a city. Whereas I should expect to be able to enjoy peace and quiet in my own home in the city, if I own a property in a resort area, like Sun Peaks or the Shuswap, should I expect the same rights, when there are revellers out enjoying themselves on a summer or winter evening?

It's not an easy situation to resolve, but the TNRD needs to get a handle on it. It's obviously a concern, and it needs to be dealt with before it blows totally out of proportion. I like my peace and quiet, and I wouldn't probably buy a place where partying is part of the atmosphere. On the other hand, where does the line get drawn between a fun time and all-out stupidness. That's the issue that needs some serious attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Respectful comments are allowed here, in most respects. Either be respectful, or respect our right to remove your disrespect. I guess what I'm trying to say here is, respect is the key.