Search This Blog

Monday, January 18, 2010

Free Speech

(Aired January 15, 2010)

I'm all for free speech. But sometimes steps must be taken to protect society that may curtail some of that free speech. I'm not in favour of people being allowed to protest at the Olympics if it creates problems for others to enjoy the activities in Vancouver next month. I don't think it's right for people to create havoc, possibly riots, disrupt traffic and create other problems in the guise of free speech. Sorry, that's not something we should allow.

I also have concerns about the claims by people that it's all right to wear gang colours in bars. You're aware of the tribunal sitting this week in Kamloops which was investigating a claim by a couple upset that the female was allowed to wear a sleeveless top into a bar in Kamloops but the man couldn't. The bar doesn't want to allow it because members of gangs can show off their tattoos, which could create problems. I agree with their concern. I'm certainly concerned that the Saskatchewan government has no plans to appeal a court ruling striking down its ban on wearing gang colours in bars. The ministry doesn't think they'll win. Colours are a little more difficult to deal with than tattoos, because unless there is a particularly-identifiable jacket, or an insignia of some sort, that's a hard one to pinpoint. If I wear a blue jacket into a bar, does that make me a gang member because that's the colour of a certain gang? But tattoos that are very distinctive are a different matter. And all we do by allowing these things to happen in the name of free speech, is create more problems.

The right of free speech is inalienable, and that's what makes us such a great country. But when free speech infringes on other rights, like the right to living safely in my country, without fear of being caught up in some gang war, or some riot created by someone protesting something in society, which right is more worth protecting? It's a question not easily resolved, but when we openly entice the possibility of violence, do we really serve the needs of society? I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Respectful comments are allowed here, in most respects. Either be respectful, or respect our right to remove your disrespect. I guess what I'm trying to say here is, respect is the key.