Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Air Quality "Good?" Are You Kidding?

(Aired on July 30, 2010)

It seems that there's nothing wrong with the equipment, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the people who work there either.  So something must be wrong with the Ministry of Environment's Air Quality Health Index. 

The index was at a 3 in Kamloops for most of the day today, on a scale of 1 to 10.  That means the index has determined the air quality in Kamloops is "good."  Yet in the time it took me to walk from my car in the parking lot to my desk inside the building, my eyes began burning.  Thankfully, I have a fairly robust respiratory system.  Others who don't are suffering today.

If you judged the air quality based on the index, though, you'd think it was all good.  People like me are in a good state of general health are told that this is "ideal air quality for outdoor activities."  And the at-risk population is encouraged to enjoy life in the great outdoors as usual.  Yet when you step outside, it looks like a cloudy day when there are no clouds, and it smells like an ashtray. 

So there is likely no one who is taking the Air Quality Health Index seriously.  If that's the case, the system needs to be revamped.  If it's not, the Air Quality Health Index will soon lose all credibility and rendered completely obsolete.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Respectful comments are allowed here, in most respects. Either be respectful, or respect our right to remove your disrespect. I guess what I'm trying to say here is, respect is the key.