Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Racism Not the Root of ACC Objections

(Aired on March 2, 2010)

I am a Canadian. I believe in the rights of our First Nations, I believe in a true and just settlement for their concerns. But I am not a racist if I have some
concerns over a situation just because it involves First Nations. And I object strongly when the so-called "race card" is brought out whenever that
happens.

Those who are opposed to the Aboriginal Cogeneration Plant are not, in my view, racist because they oppose the plant The fact that some of the proponents of the plant have blood lines that were here before mine shouldn't enter the equation. This is a plant that might be built in a community where air problems have persisted for decades. Those opposed aren't sure the technology is proven and there aren't hidden dangers. They may be wrong. But they have the right to declare their opposition without being branded.

In the end, the technology may be fine, and if it is, let the plant go ahead. But let's make sure. That is not racist. Does racism exist? Of course it does. And that's wrong. It's uncalled for. It should be weeded out. In fact, there have been racist emails apparently sent to the proponents of the project. And if ACC spokesman Kim Sigurdson says his reference to racism refers to those people, and not the entire group opposing the plant, I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

A group of people opposing something because they believe it will harm their health is not racist. Let's look at the facts of this case without bringing up prejudice and talking about racism. We need to have answers based on a logical and progressive examination of the technology and its impact. Nothing else will be satisfactory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Respectful comments are allowed here, in most respects. Either be respectful, or respect our right to remove your disrespect. I guess what I'm trying to say here is, respect is the key.