Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Performing Arts Centre Should be Top Priority for Kamloops

(Aired on June 7, 2010)

What a welcome relief to hear someone say something positive about the Arts. Councillor John O'Fee suggesting this morning that a new Performing Arts Centre should be high on the list of projects for the city to consider. Such a centre would go a long way to attracting more artists here, and it would definitely be an attraction when people are coming to the city to live. When you survey professionals who are considering moving, one of the major factors is the amenities. We have some great amenities in Kamloops, but we can certainly do more in certain areas. Music and theatre are big attractions to professionals.

What form a new Centre might take is up for debate. When I was on the Arts Commission a few years back, one of the big discussion points was the need for a space seating somewhere between 300 and 400 people. A space kind of like the Pavilion Theatre, but properly designed for performance. Pavilion is a great space, but it's not designed for concerts and the like.

Most people know me as a big fan of the arts. Long before my kids became known for their artistic work, I was heavily into the performing arts areas. I grew up backstage listening to many of the big groups of the 50's and 60's because my dad was involved in that field for a time. I could see the value of the arts even then. While some feel the arts play a secondary role to other critical needs, they nevertheless have a big role to play, and they can't be hung out to dry like the provincial Liberals are doing.

I agree with Councillor O'Fee that a new Centre is a big priority for our city. We're working on new recreational amenities like a new bike path, and slo-pitch city and upgrading McArthur Island. I think it's time we moved the arts a little higher up on our priority list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Respectful comments are allowed here, in most respects. Either be respectful, or respect our right to remove your disrespect. I guess what I'm trying to say here is, respect is the key.